Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Helena's Promise

I was able to watch an episode of Helena's Promise in ABS-CBN yesterday. And since the first time I watched it, I got hooked.

According to WikiPedia, it's real title is Scent of a Woman. Here is a synopsis of the story from WikiPedia:

"As a single, unmarried woman in her mid-thirties, Lee Yeon Jae (Kim Sun Ah) is meek and timid, considered a spinster by society. After spending ten years working for the same travel company owned by Kang Chul Man, she is falsely accused of stealing from a client. In addition to enduring the accusations of her superiors, she is diagnosed with gallbladder cancer with approximately six months left to live. Mustering up her courage, Yeon Jae resigns and embraces her remaining six months of life.

Embarking on her first vacation alone, she splurges on clothes and flies first-class to Okinawa, Japan, where she runs into her dream man, Kang Ji Wook (Lee Dong Wook), the son of her former boss. Ji Wook is a young rich man, cynical and lifeless, until he falls in love with Yeon Jae. Together they live out a series of misadventures, both comical and bittersweet, as Yeon Jae completes each dream in her Bucket List."


I decided to watch how the story unfolds because I like the idea of living each day as if it is your last. Personally, I would love to do that. Our time on this world is limited anyway, so it is imperative that we enjoy each and every day given to us.

I have my own version of a bucket list where I have 100 things to do. But recently I tried not reading my list anymore after talking to a friend. He said that we can never be sure how long we will be able to live so his advice is, plan and visualize only for the next day or next week or the next 3 months at the longest.

While that advice is sound. I still keep my long term dreams; the decision to stick with a 3 month plan and keep everything simple makes the journey less uptight. It is still best to enjoy whatever comes up. And surrender that everything that happens is according to God's plan.

As with Helena's promise, I know and predict, that just like other Korean novelas on TV, the heroine will die. But it is not the end that matters, what should matter is how she lived her last 6 months.

Like Helena, I promise to try to live my life and enjoy this gift each day. Money and the lack of it sometimes get in the way of doing things I want to do. But I have faith that someday, I will be able to do them too.

Cheers to a Happy Life.




No comments:

Post a Comment