Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

A morning at the Luneta

Because UST denied me entry to their jogging grounds, I was forced to go to Luneta and explore. 

Good things come to those who Love God. And today, God reminded me that when there are detours, it is for my own good. So I enjoyed Luneta and took notes about the guests I am touring over Manila and nearby provinces next month. I am forced to look hard at this part of Manila which is a part of my childhood, and which I know so little about.

I have decided to go to Luneta and have my leisurely walk. I haven't jog in a long time and I though forcing the body to run again will not do good. I want my body to gradually learn to take long distance walks and mini runs again before going for a full, non-stop, run/jog. 

I have already realized that my aunt is coming over within the month and will be staying at Hotel H20 at the Luneta Grounds err... sea. So this is the perfect time to scout around places they can visit.


The Christmas tree as seen from the Hotel/Ocean Park Entrance

Walking past Hotel H20 towards the Grandstand is the kids' playground



The playground is still there but this one is small compared to what we had back in the day.  We had high slides made of cement, the flooring of the playground is sand, we had numerous swings... Now the most number of swings are at the park at the front of the Manila Zoo.  This one is too small. Not for the tough kids during my childhood.



Hotel H20 Facade on what was formerly a concrete beach walk





The Al Fresco dining in Luneta. Opens at 5am

Balloons and kites sellers in Luneta; enticing the kids to play and moms to buy since 1960s 


(not a historical fact. This is just a joke. some historian friends might crucify me)
 



"Sa may Kalabaw na lang tayo magkita" 
(Let's just meet near the buffalo)

- remembering mom talking to dad setting their rendezvous in the evening



Even when I got a little older, I once found myself telling my parents, "susunod ako sa Luneta, sa may Kalabaw ko na kayo kitain" (I'll just follow you at the Luneta, I'll meet you guys near the buffalo)

The Luneta's Kalabaw, witness to our parents' generations' Luneta dates. haha



The steps leading to the open field.



People often mistook the other statue to be a buffalo (kalabaw). It is actually a tamaraw. The Philippine Water Buffalo unique only to the Island of Mindoro. So there are times you may hear someone say:

"Sa kalabaw na tayo magkita? " (Let's meet near the buffalo)

Saang kalabaw? (Which one?)

Sa luneta? (At the Luneta)

Alin doon? (Which of those Buffaloes)


(The other one is a tamaraw)










Today is RP-Canada Friendship day, I think. So the flags of 2 countries were flown together.  





(Happy Friendship day to us our Canadian Friends ^_^ Hope I can one day visit your country and celebrate this August occasion with you guys too. ) 



















Canadian and Philippine Flags. 










And we have a garden. Isn't this great Canada? 














------





On another note: 





TIP: when going to Luneta, take the Restroom at the left side of Jose Rizal. Just after the RP- Canada garden. The restroom is clean.




















Well you just have to pay 5 pesos. It is worth it. That is Kuya caretaker.






Lots of monuments like this one can be seen at the Luneta. Some are donated by Foreign Governments. Lapu Lapu - that one imposing guy guarding the Philippine Map is donated by the People of South Korea

I was not able to take a picture of the big guy, so I am borrowing here a photo.



Photo borrowed from http://www.panoramio.com/photo/19948457)





TIP: Avoid the washroom here at all cost. Small and dirty. 




See this at night. They have lights and water show.




Busts of Philippine heroes line up. (That one is Graciano Lopez Jaena. A Filipino writer and propagandist during the Spanish Colonial Rule)

Care for some lovin? Massages by the blind.



Oh these! Who would forget the early morning walks we had in the 1990s with our parents. We used to sleep overnight at the Luneta whenever El Shaddai group had their anniversaries. 


I can remember the feel of my dad's hand. I remember he sometimes hold my hand while we go this way.










Gardeners keep the grass short 



See the fountain near Burgos Street? I have seen it lots of times without water and I was happy seeing it ALIVE AND WET ALL OVER today. Didn't venture near though. I am tired. I just want to go home.

Enjoy your own Luneta Trip soon.  Beyond that falls is the entrance to Intramuros.  If you have the time, get inside the good, walled, Manila of the Spanish times. 


No comments:

Post a Comment